Why Do I Love You When You Can Be Such a Dick?
By Laurie London
Let’s face it. Not everyone can love a hot-headed, domineering, blood-sucking vampire who curses in three languages and struts around barking orders to everyone with and without a set of fangs. He’s the kind of man any sane person would try to avoid. So, what makes a guy like Tristan Santiago hero material? After all, the next Sweetblood book, SEDUCED BY BLOOD, which comes out July 24, is his story. He must have some redeeming qualities, right?
When he stormed onto the pages of the first book, BONDED BY BLOOD, he was reprimanding one of his Agents for making a grave mistake. Then, throughout that book and the others, he continued to be a thorn in the side of many of the Agents. They hated attending his “motivational” lectures. They dreaded when he visited the Seattle office from his headquarters in British Columbia. And they clammed up when he entered a room for fear he’d give unasked for and unwanted advice and demand that they follow it.
However, one woman sees past his harsh exterior. Oh, those things bothered her too at first, but unlike anyone else, she’s able to see past that gruff façade and finds the real hero behind it.
Here are 10 reasons why Roxy, a trainer at Tracker Academy, falls in love with Santiago:
1. He’s passionate in everything he does and never holds back his emotions. Strong, silent type? Nope. That’s not Santiago. He says what he means and isn’t afraid to show it…both in anger and in love.
2. He’s wickedly handsome. Broad shouldered and muscular, with almost black hair cut very short, he’s got a strange military tattoo stretching over his shoulders and reaching into his hairline. Roxy wonders how far down it goes, which she eventually finds out.
3. He’s skilled at what he does and doesn’t hesitate to risk his life to save her. He carries a blade called Misery, a custom-made weapon forged from deadly Santa Muerte silver. Misery wants to cut, wants to destroy, and Santiago is its skilled master.
4. He believes in Roxy, respecting her and becoming her champion, when virtually everyone else turned their backs on her.
5. He has a soft spot for animals. After going on a tirade about something, Roxy spots him secretly feeding a squirrel a few peanuts he keeps in his pocket. She’s a huge animal lover herself, so this makes an impression with her.
6. He’s loyal to a fault and honorable to the core. He rights a very terrible wrong that happened in Roxy’s past, which has the potential to jeopardize everything he’s worked for. Rules be damned. It’s his people and Roxy who matter.
7. He’s respectful and caring toward a very important woman in Roxy’s life, bringing joy to the elderly woman that no one else was able or willing to do.
8. He develops a rare and ancient power after taking Roxy’s blood, revealing the strength of their bond and the depth of their compatibility.
9. He responds only to Roxy’s touch when he’s spinning out of control, a victim of his own tortured past. She’s his beacon, his calming light. What woman wouldn’t want that kind of power over a larger-than-life man like Santiago?
10. He gives her more than she ever dreamed or hoped for. You’ll have to read the end to find out what this is. It surprised even me when I wrote it.
What’s one of your favorite characteristics of a romance hero? I’m giving away a signed copy of SEDUCED BY BLOOD and a set of Sweetblood trading cards to one random commentor. Open to US/Canada ONLY. International may enter and will recieve a e-book (Amazon or B&N) copy only. Contest open until 7-19-12c @ 11:59 EST. Winner announced shortly after.
Sweetblood Series #4
Release date July 24, 2012
E-books released August 1, 2012
Deep within the forests of the Pacific Northwest, the battle for supremacy rages on between two vampire coalitions: Guardian enforcers sworn to protect humanity, and Darkbloods, rogues who kill like their ancient ancestors… Hot-blooded and hard-edged, Tristan Santiago has an uncanny ability to see beneath the surface-a power that serves him well as the Guardians’ region commander. But when a deadly plot against his fellow vampires is uncovered, he must turn to the one woman he can’t read: the beautiful yet mysterious Roxanne Reynolds, whose sensual presence soothes his tormented memories. Roxy had put love before duty once before, with devastating results. But to root out a dangerous traitor in their midst, she must put her faith in Santiago, the one man skilled enough to break through her defenses. Posing as lovers, Santiago and Roxy work side by side-and discover a powerful craving that threatens to consume them both.
A little about Laurie:
A graduate of Western Washington University with a BA in Business Administration and a former tester/programmer for a Fortune 500 company, Laurie London now writes from her home near Seattle where she lives with her husband and two children.
Her debut book, BONDED BY BLOOD, A Sweetblood Novel, came out February 2011 from HQN Books. It was followed by HIDDEN BY BLOOD, an e-novella June 2011; EMBRACED BY BLOOD July 2011; “Enchanted By Blood,” a novella in the anthology A VAMPIRE FOR CHRISTMAS Oct 2011; TEMPTED BY BLOODMarch 2012; and SEDUCED BY BLOOD August 2012.
Her writing has won and been a finalist in several prestigious contests including the Beacon, the Emerald City Opener, the Marlene, and the Orange Rose.
Each stop will be giving away a signed copy of Seduced by Blood.
July 9th All things Urban Fantasy
July 10th Hanging with Bells